Wednesday 8 August 2012

Some moments of the love film festival Tartuff.

Love is in the air, was my first thought when I arrived at the town hall square in Tartu. The air felt slightly humid but pleasantly warm for a night out. It was the first day of the festival and I was off duty from volunteering. But to be honest I would have made my way to the square anyway, whether I was working or not.

The atmosphere was bustling, people everywhere: some singing on nearby benches, some eagerly waiting at the seating area for the film festival to kick off while others induldged themselves with a drink or two at the cafe bar lounges. 

In contrast to last year, the attendance at the opening night was incredible. An hour before the first film screening majority of the 1600 seats were already occupied. The employees at the cafes and bars located on the square were bringing out extra tables and chairs which I noticed being reserved already. Sharp at 10pm, the director of the PÖFF festival gave a brief and joyful speech. I was observing the violet shades of sunset behind the projection. It was an idyllic atmosphere for an open air cinema. 

George Melier's silent film A Trip to the Moon opened this year's love film festival. I remember glimpses of Melier's filmmaking career from Scorsese's film Hugo (2011). At first it seemed as if I was watching a theatre piece on a projection. For an early pioneering flm made in 1902 it was funny, accompanied with magical and multiple experimental elements. Melier was known for embedding illusions and fantasy in his work. A Trip to the Moon may not be everyone's cup of tea but the soundtrack does make the film more enjoyable and light-hearted even.

Next up was Naked Harbour (2012) by a Finnish filmmaker Aku Louhimes. Quite a few Estonians actors starred in this metropolitan love film. About half a way through the film I felt like I was watching a TV series. The central theme was love and hope portrayed in contemporary Helsinki. Fragile relationships, insecurity, money issues were all in the spotlight, making the film too realistic. Afterwards I heard a comment about the film: 'it was as if looking into someone's home.' Strange but this is exactly how I would describe it. I cannot say it was boring but rather dull. To me, Naked Harbour was a replica of Love Actually (2003) about relationships and love in a urban city.

The last and the third film of the night was The Beginners (2010). I had waited to see this film since it was released and I was disappointed. The story was told in a rather peculiar way with the scene selection going back and forth introducing new characters and events. I found the most fascinating seeing how the main character Oliver (McGregor) had grown into the person he was. As a love story it was sincere, even fragile at times emphasisng the beginners element in the film. To me this film was the highlight of the night even though I am not a big fan of Hollywood films.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment