Tuesday 14 August 2012


Last Thursday was the first night when I officially started volunteering. I was working at Genialistid (Gen) club in Tartu, part of the Tartu Music Week. Because this year’s film festival included the "Prima Vesta" literary festival and Tartu Music Week, the volunteers also had a chance to pick and choose between events. For a week every night gigs took place at the Paulig coffee tent and in many other eccentric cafes and lounges in Tartu.

Before heading to work I thought to myself, what am I suppose to wear? Wherever I have worked at there has always been a dress code or a uniform. Luckily it turned out that there wasn't a dress code. Excellent!

When I arrived at "Gen club" my colleague was already present. An intelligent and sweet looking girl studying English literature at the Tartu University. 

Our table was positioned between two floors, dim lighting exposing the black graphic figures on the bloody orange walls. There was such a chilled atmosphere in the club. We were given a box of CD’s of the artists’ performing at the Music Week. It was my first experience selling and promoting emerging and already established Estonian musicians. When I checked out the schedule I spotted only one familiar name, Mimicry.

On Thursday night there were three bands: Galvanic Elephants, Elephants from Neptune, Barthol Lo Meyor. It was also a chance for us, the volunteers to enjoy the festival. My lovely fellow volunteer was familiar with some of the bands music. No wonder she was eager to attend the first gig. I stayed behind our little table with a friend of mine, listening to the gig and swinging along to the funky electro beats.

Galvanic Elephants was the first band performing that night. The band of four played a mix of punk, electro and chillout. At one point it was confusing to figure out what type of music it is as it varied from one song to another. But Galvanic Elephants were the public's favourite band of the night! We sold quite a few of their CDs.

Last up was Barthol Lo Meyor who plays raw electronic clubbing beats, which has also been categorised as "trash electro". Enjoyable if you like dance music and clubbing!

Galvanic Elephants
http://www.galvanicelephants.com/
Elephants from Neptune
Barthol Lo Meyor

The line-up on Friday night: Machineries of Joy, Mart Avi & Ajukaja feat. Steve Vanoni and Mimicry.

This night attracted a different type of crowd. More adults, professionals, the capital’s "big wigs", DJ’s and fashionistas. It was a great experience catching up with the music scene in Estonia and not just the mainstream artists. I sensed quite a few bands had a progressive electro vibe in common.

"Machineries of Joy" performed an interesting mix of funky electro acoustic rhythm. At times it felt so surreal I thought it was Sunday even though it was a Friday night. I was eager to go out later and not straight to bed. 

"Mimicry" was the only band whose music I had heard before. Their video "Heat" is one awesome video. To me this duo’s performance was the highlight of the night. Upbeat, mind-blowing punk and electro mixed together. I could see the vibe in the room really reached the band's aim – to evoke emotions never felt before. Superb! 

During these two days I volunteered in the Gen club I realised that festivals are an excellent opportunity to enjoy the music and films for free. Cannot wait for the next opportunity!  


Machineries of Joy
Mart Avi
Ajukaja
Mimicry
http://mimicry.varjend.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment