Friday 26 October 2012


Thoughts on William Klein, 
the father of street photography. 



Before I went to see William Klein & Daido Moriyama’s joint exhibition I noticed Tate’s question on Twitter one day. There it was inviting me to answer. “What inspires you about urban photography?” And this is what I came up with that afternoon: “Streets are like a stage, where people around you bring the space to life. You never know what you might take home with you.”


I thought about the nights I spent searching for queues, when I was working on my final creative project at university. But I also thought about my life in London for the past seven years. Everyday I am surrounded by masses of crowds. And this is why street photography is such an exciting area to get into. A capital city like London is a ‘stage’, where millions of people blend in. Each and every one of them goes through its own path with a mission in mind. People pass each other often not even noticing what takes place around them. From a photographer’s point of view this is like an ideal set to enter. 


One of the Twitter users replied to my tweet, answering ‘memories’. I have to admit it made me think. It was an interesting way of thinking about it, but it wasn’t my way. Ever since I got involved in ‘amateur’ street photography I have always aimed to blend in, not engage with the passersby.

Why would I? What would be the whole point? And creating memories? Whose memories? I remember some incidents when I was capturing the queues for my nighttime project. But I would rather categorize those thoughts as experience. Perhaps, because my project also included research into women as street walkers and me reflecting my experience. But memory? I just couldn’t work around that thought. So I replied to her: “I don't reflect thinking I was there. Do you? I see it as a story, the city and people completing each other.”

Few days later when I visited Klein & Moriyama’s exhibition, the old feelings emerged again. I was eager to hit the streets, pick up a camera and stay out until 2am in the morning. Why? Because during night time it’s less busy and people only gather at certain places. They wouldn’t wander around the streets. The majority of them would have an aim and be heading somewhere. And this is exactly what fascinates me the most. You could probably call me a stalker but I don’t see the point to hide. Anyhow back to the exhibition.

Photograph by Daido Moriyama
At Tate Modern, I realized what I like the most about street photography. The freedom. The spontaneous set. The way different characters blend and engage, or not. The facial expressions. I like to look at photographs and think back in time, how life was back then. How much time people spent on the streets. The carefree childhood. The endless parades and protests.

I first encountered William Klein’s work years back when I was studying photography. I found his style very interesting, especially his fashion and street photography. The scenes are playful and quirky, each of them embodies a story. And now, years later I finally had the chance to see his work in a gallery. I felt as if the spacious white rooms echoed of power emotions.

There were moments when I felt the immense graphic prints and enlarged black and white photographs brought the scenes on the photos alive. Tate Modern really is a great space for art.

Klein’s early photographic practice began on the streets. He started off by documenting the streets, which I like for its rawness, high contrast and graininess.  

To an extent I feel close to Klein’s approach to photography. He describes New York as the city he hated and loved. The Big city. Gritty. Children’s innocent laughter. As he said: “It’s not my story but I create a story.”


On his images you can see he has engaged with his subjects. The neon city signs, tags, newspapers. NYC itself seems like a large set or a theatre. In one room I encountered his earlier abstract work. This technique of exposing photographic paper to light has applied in his later work, especially in fashion photography.

When I exit the last room of Klein’s exhibition I see where the resemblance between his and Moriyama’s work lies. High contrast, silhouettes, close-up’s of people at parades. Capturing the notion of freedom. 


 . 

Picture credit: 

http://lectures-antonia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/lecture-seven-photograph-as-document.html
http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern
http://www.lifelounge.com.au/photography/gallery/william-klein-is-the-father-of-street-photography.aspx#gallerytop
http://weheartit.com/entry/34294275

No comments:

Post a Comment