Monday 11 June 2012


An artist’s dream?

Until yesterday I was very keen on moving to Berlin because of the city’s carefree reputation and the many artists it attracts. But this idea started to fade when I immersed myself to the world of Station Topolò in my research for this article. 
 
Yesterday afternoon, fashionably late, I went to the picnic with a mission. But first I had to throw away this invisible ‘journalist hat’ and enjoy a glass of local red wine. While swinging along the groovy dance beats in this idyllic beachside spot, I already spotted some familiar faces. But my mission was to find out what is Station Topo and what exactly happens in this ‘artistic paradise’? The two Italian artists, Donatella Ruttar and Anja Medved kindly shared their story of Topolò, even though I had not seen the movies about it.

Anja Medved, director of both films, talks about her journey to the station, a place she first joined as a spectator and where later on she presented her work. From there the snowball started to roll, she immersed herself in the task to capture the essence of this village and the Station Topolò’s. But what really stood out for me was when Medved said that the film it is not a documentary but rather an attempt trying to catch the spirit of the station and of the village that have grown into a one union over the years.  On the other hand, the most fascinating part of the film is that it features material shot by local youngsters aged 12 to 18 who grew up with the Station.  In the end “I also made an interview with them and asked how they imagine Topolò in 50 years,” said Medved. 

Until today the village of Topolò, which is tucked away in Italy next to the border of Slovenia, is still alive because of the ‘station’.  There are no shops, no bars and even finding a way to this remote location can be a mission. Donatella Ruttar, who founded the Station Topolo about 20 years ago with Moreno Miorelli, describes that the essence of the station was to “ make this the centre of the world and try to articulate this idea of ourselves.” She also adds that the idea is “all about sharing.”

Honestly at this point I cannot think of a better place where to dive into the artistic world and let the creative juices flow. How is it possible that there is a paradise for artists? Yet you have to support yourself to an extent but from an artist’s point of view: fantastic weather conditions, a roof over your head, a space for making your art and delicious Italian food from kind residents. This all sounds good enough for me to guarantee motivation.

But to join the community there is one requirement, in smooth terms. Just as Adam and Eve in the paradise had to stick to a rule, Medved noted that the art there should reflect the spirit of the village and the location. Ruttar corrected me when I classified the gathering with artists in July as a festival. In station Topolò, she said, they don’t classify things but they just do them.  Nowadays apart from the gathering during the summer month the only people who reside there are locals, and occasionally writers and poets.  

In the end Ruttar kindly thanked me. For a moment I did think, do I really want to spread the word about this little creative hub called station or not? But why not? It is not like I know where it exactly locates, which I think is the beauty of this village. 


Published in Otok Daily brochure, in association with Pina for Isola International Film Festival 2012. 
http://www.pina.si/otokdaily/

No comments:

Post a Comment